    Subjectwake_up_interruptible changes

    Current production code used to have

    wake_up_interruptible(struct wait_queue **);

    The new kernel now requires changes to

    wake_up_interruptible(struct wait_queue_head *);

    This breaks every Linux driver that implements poll/select, meaning
    that once released, all such drivers will have to be rewritten, not
    just compiled.

    Is it possible that these kinds of changes could be implemented in
    the future as MACROS so that one doesn't have to rewrite released

    The problem may not be evident to a lot of persons unless they
    are trying to use Linux in a commercial environment. We have,
    currently under development. a Medical Imaging System
    (a CAT Scanner) with a main controller, the thing that does all the
    sequencing, and control of the entire machine, written in the Linux
    environment. This required drivers for all the non-standard
    communications, control, and image processing hardware to be written for

    This machine, because it is used in medical applications, must
    be certified by the FDA. By the time this machine is complete
    and ready for certification, (in about 2 years) many new
    versions of Linux will have been released. If anything having
    to do with the basic control (read safety) is changed, the
    machine must be re-certified. This means that we either use
    a current standard "release" with all its bugs and old technology
    and stick with it forever, or we attempt to keep the software up-to-date
    so that, by the time the FDA certification occurs, we are able to use the
    "latest" released kernel.

    Changes to the names and types of kernel objects make this
    hard to do.

    Dick Johnson

    Penguin : Linux version 2.3.13 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).
    Warning : The end of the world as we know it requires a new calendar.
    Seconds : 1411253 (until Y2K)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.043 / U:1.812 seconds]