    SubjectRe: Thread-private mappings and graphics (was Re: Per-Processor Data Page)
    David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com> wrote:
    > Whereas most SGI, Sun, and other vendor's higher end cards allows you
    > to arbitrarily stop a renderer mid-place, save the card state, and
    > restore the card state another thread has.
    > Commodity PCI/AGI 3D graphics cards cannot do this, which is why the
    > userland locking solution exists at all. However for cards that can do
    > the above, this is what people want.

    What do benchmarks look like -- comparing "swapping card state" vs.
    "keep opengl state off-board and card actions atomic"?

    Or is that too much trouble to be worth benchmarking?

    [My guess is that when both are available it's a mixed bag -- in some
    cases one wins, in other cases the other wins.]

    Thanks,

    --
    Raul