SubjectRe: Thread-private mappings and graphics (was Re: Per-Processor Data Page)
David S. Miller <> wrote:
> Whereas most SGI, Sun, and other vendor's higher end cards allows you
> to arbitrarily stop a renderer mid-place, save the card state, and
> restore the card state another thread has.
> Commodity PCI/AGI 3D graphics cards cannot do this, which is why the
> userland locking solution exists at all. However for cards that can do
> the above, this is what people want.

What do benchmarks look like -- comparing "swapping card state" vs.
"keep opengl state off-board and card actions atomic"?

Or is that too much trouble to be worth benchmarking?

[My guess is that when both are available it's a mixed bag -- in some
cases one wins, in other cases the other wins.]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.106 / U:0.492 seconds]