    SubjectRe: Thread-private mappings and graphics (was Re: Per-Processor Data
    On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 10:31:49PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > You can have thread-private _pointers_. Just have different mappings of
    > the same hardware context if you have to, and just have different
    > pointers to it in different threads.

    This doesn't address the problem. First, the threads need to refer
    to *different* graphics contexts. Second, the API requires that these
    contexts be identified by some thread-specific mechanism available to
    the graphics library, not by explicit stack pointers in the application
    - whether that mechanism is private mappings or tarot cards matters not,
    so long as it's extremely fast.

    I assumed these points were both clear from my initial post, and not
    really occasion for a rant about how "unstable and unmaintainable" IRIX
    is, but whatever - so long as in the end Linux allows apps to issue
    vertices at least as fast as other OSes on the same hardware.

    Jon Leech
    SGI

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:4.580 / U:0.352 seconds]