    SubjectRe: [patch] fastcall-2.3.32-B6, SYSENTER/SYSEXIT support

    > We want to AVOID that kind of chaos - we do not want to have different
    > ways of doing the same things that offer slight advantages over each over.
    > In short, it is NOT WORTH IT to speed up system calls by 150 cycles unless
    > it's a clean and good interface. People should wake up to the realitites
    > here: most system calls take on the order of thousands of cycles, and the
    > benchmarks that have been quoted in this discussion are mostly completely
    > and utterly irrelevant to ANYTHING.
    > Who cares how fast you can do "getpid()"? NOBODY. It's meaningless.

    Well, read from cached file is _not_ meaningless, still Ingo seen
    improvements on that.

    > Guys, this is final. Look at the bigger picture, instead of being
    > enamoured with a cool feature.
    > If you want to speed up a system call, make the ONE system call you
    > concentrate on be "gettimeofday()". And realize that you don't even

    I think you should concentrate on read(), write() and select()
    syscalls. Those are the ones done often.

    I'm really Look at Pavel

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.020 / U:47.704 seconds]