    SubjectRe: [patch] fastcall-2.3.32-B6, SYSENTER/SYSEXIT support
    In article <>,
    Richard Gooch <> wrote:

    >Yeah, the standard syscall interface, as I mentioned. This isn't so
    >bad, as we need to support the standard interface for a long time
    >anyway. Otherwise we break binary compatibility for *everything*.
    >Red rag to David Parsons ;->

    I'd *much* rather see massive breaking of everything under the sun
    instead of the gradual nibbling-to-death-by-ducks approach that's
    currently happening. A wholescale breaking of interfaces to weed
    out the legacy code[1] may be for the better because (now that Linux
    is a Real Serious(tm) operating system) most of the user base uses
    tinned distributions and won't notice anything aside from the usual
    shimming of compatability libraries, most of the rest of the userbase
    will simply upgrade everything in sight to the latest and greatests,
    and those few heretics who still use a.out[2] will simply rev libc 4
    to libc 7 and cross their fingers that the compatability layer won't

    david parsons \bi/ [1: code older than six months.]
    \/ [2: That would be me.]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.018 / U:8.692 seconds]