SubjectRe: Bash Issues
Date
In article <cistron.38554210.2C92AE83@timpanogas.com>,
Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey@timpanogas.com> wrote:
>for Linux it's (n)curses, except Linux has the poorest look and feel of
>the three because the default for these shells don't let you use all
>ASCII charaters to make cool little boxes and such without a lot of work
>and research into how shells work.

It doesn't have anything to do with the shell.

You have some kernel experience. Ever used "make menuconfig" in
/usr/src/linux ?? Find out how that works (hint:
/usr/src/linux/scripts/lxdialog/)

>Again, the point that is missed is that for all you "unix hacker guru
>types" having to do "set meta-on" an such in a /.inputrc file may not be
>a big deal, but end user customers are lazy and don't want to do a weeks
>worth of research just to get their displays to look like what they are
>used to with NetWare, DOS, NT, Windows 95/98, etc.

I've never set anything in my .inputrc, yet "dialog" and "lxdialog"
(and tons of other programs) happily show nice lines and boxes even
in color

Try "make menuconfig". And be amazed ;)

Mike.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.116 / U:1.312 seconds]