    SubjectRe: keyboard scancodes
    On Sat, Dec 11, 1999 at 10:12:36AM +0100, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

    > > For these PC keyboards it seems the proper solution would be
    > > a finite state machine, with tables that can be loaded from
    > > user space, a little bit like setkeycodes does today, but
    > > much more general. The traditional keybaord would then have
    > > three scancode maps (the plain one, one for e0 and one for e1)
    > > and people for whom e0 is not an escape symbol would only
    > > have the plain map, and people for whom also 80 is an escape
    > > symbol would have a fourth map.
    >
    > Well, I think the right solution is to switch AT->XT code translation
    > off in the i8042 - after that, the keyboard scancodes are *ALOT*
    > simpler - the i8042 really mangles the data ...

    Sorry to reply to myself, but:

    I forgot to mention that if you disable this stupid translation,
    you get the same AT keyboard protocol as on the PS/2 port, on the
    Sun PCIKBD port, and on many other architectures which use AT or PS/2
    style keyboards. This way you can use *one* AT keyboard driver for
    all these architectures ...

    --
    Vojtech Pavlik
    SuSE Labs