SubjectRe: Linux headed for disaster?

[Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu>]
> So once we establish a standard mechanism by which independing source
> kernel modules can be linked against the kernel

I really like the idea someone posted recently (sorry, don't recall who
or where) of a vendor just doing

make -C /usr/src/linux modules SUBDIRS=`pwd`

This way you get all kinds of things right automatically, including the
user's favorite compiler settings, right header files, MODVERSIONS,
SMP, other relevant .config settings, etc.

You just have to ensure that Makefile, Rules.make and .config are
installed -- presumably these should be in the distribution's kernel
headers package. Also presumably, the user astute enough to compile
his own kernel will make the right /usr/src/linux link.

Peter

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.037 / U:0.040 seconds]