SubjectRe: locking user memory and kiobuf
Hi,

On 08 Nov 1999 11:06:08 -0500, tbennett@nvidia.com (Tony E. Bennett)
said:

> kiobuf sounds perfect for a problem we have. Currently I use mmap()
> to map pages from __get_free_pages() into user space for dma. This is
> not totally satisfactory, tho, in part because the resulting group of
> pages is not mapped contiguously into kernel.

kiobufs don't magically fix this. If you want physically contiguous
pages, you need to allocate them contiguously in the first place.
kiobufs are intended as holders of pages, independent of the source of
those pages: you can map user space pages into a kiobuf or you can
allocate inside the kernel and populate the kiobuf with those pages
instead.

> So, has kiobuf been accepted into the kernel proper or will it be a patch
> for the forseeable future?

It is already in 2.3.

--Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.076 / U:0.064 seconds]