SubjectNFS Locking...

I've run into a strange problem; I have a mail server running Linux 2.2.13
(Intel Platform) on which the mail spool resides. Originally, we had it on a
SunOS system, but the 2GB partition limit of SunOS was too restrictive so we
moved it to a Linux box.

We also have a SunOS box that is a shell server that mounts this spool via
NFS and people access it via various mail clients that manipulate the spool
files directly such as BSD mail, mutt, mh, elm, and pine.

Mutt now hangs when you fire it up and it is hanging on an fcntl call that
attempts to check for a remote lock on the spool file for the user reading
mail. It hangs indefinitely and can't be killed even with kill -9.

It appears that remote locking isn't supported by the Linux nfsd and there
is no lockd. Is there a fix for this problem? I know we could recompile some
of the mailers to use a different locking method but I can't stop users from
compiling things that do this and jamming up the machine with stuck processes
that can't be killed. I don't see any flags in SunOS to disable locking.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.159 / U:0.004 seconds]