SubjectRe: PATCH 2.3.26: kmalloc GFP_ZERO
   Date:   Tue, 9 Nov 1999 15:18:18 +0100
From: Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>

Even if you do it in a smart way (avoid trashing caches by
bypassing them), it turned out to be very little win (I have
implemented it on sparc64 some months ago and lmbench numbers were
better just by a very small margin so I scratched it).

Hmmm... it may not help out lmbench like scenerios, but I bet
that many real-world usage and high-load situations will benefit from
this.

In fact for something like "lat_proc fork" it is the most suboptimal
thing to do, because each iteration will tend to use entirely
different anonymous pages during cow faults, instead of reusing pages
already in the L2 cache of the cpu which is what happens in the
current kernels.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.068 / U:0.192 seconds]