SubjectRE: Alladin chipset IDE
Date
> I would like to use the ASUS P5A motherboard which is Alladin based
> for some production machines.
>
> - Where is the patch to allow the IDE drivers to work with the
> alladin chipset? If anyone has a copy they could send me.

It's in here...
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/

> - Is this patch no longer necessary for some recent 2.2.x
> kernel versions? Starting with which version?

Still required as of 2.2.14prex. I also am wondering if this stuff will
make it into the 2.2.x kernel proper.

> - Will the driver work at all without the patch (i.e. in PIO mode
> instead of DMA)? What is the performance hit? More importantly,

Correct, just slower.

> can one install a RedHat distribution before recompiling the

Of course.

> kernel? If we are just talking about 12MB/s vs 6MB/s transfer
> rates, I am not concerned.

??? That's a pretty big hit! For me it's ~16MB/s vs ~6MB/s, and quite a
difference in CPU usage also. It of course depends on the hard drive - I
have one of those IBM 13.5GB 7200 jobbies, with an advertized sustained
throughput of 16MB+/s, so I'd guess a faster drive will also be utilized
quite well.

> - Is the patched version stable?

Has been perfectly so for me *so far* - I've been running it for less than
two weeks.

HTH
--
Glen Parker