SubjectProblems with 2.3.26 Makefile, PCMCIA
Date
I think I've found a problem with the main kernel Makefile in 2.3.26 at least,
and probably previous versions as well. It manifests itself by putting any
PCMCIA network card modules into /lib/modules/2.3.26/misc instead of pcmcia.

A make -d modules shows that it compiles the modules in drivers/net/pcmcia,
and puts them in the modules dir, and even adds their names to
modules/PCMCIA_MODULES, but this file is then overwritten by the make
process for drivers/pcmcia! This means that the make modules_install will
put any drivers/net/pcmcia modules in misc because it doesn't know what
to do with them.

It looks like the rm -f specified in line 149 of Rules.make is overwriting
the PCMCIA_MODULES file the second time through instead of skipping it. I
bet this is true of other module types as well, and appears in other kernel
versions.

Also, the 16-bit Xircom driver is not listed in drivers/net/pcmcia/Makefile.
I just added it and the module made correctly.

I've also ported the serial_cs.c module from pcmcia 3.1.1 to kernel 2.3.26
(no big deal, really) but I'm not sure where to put it in the kernel tree.
I guess drivers/pcmcia would be the right place. Would this be considered
a "new feature" for purposes of the 2.4.x feature freeze? It's kind of
important to support PCMCIA modems...

Not being a Makefile (or C) wizard, can anyone help me out here with these
issues? I'm sure this would be a 5-minute hack and a quick patch to be
added to 2.3.27...

Thanks,
Stephen Foskett
sfoskett@slf.gweep.net

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:1.694 / U:0.096 seconds]