    SubjectRe: toplevel Makefile bug and simple fix
    > There are, of course, technical difficulties in trying to distribute
    > hardware-specific files separately from the kernel (dependency detection,
    > hardware detection, patches from one version to another), and developmental
    > difficulties in ensuring enough people check to make sure things compile
    > with various subsets of the extension packages, but "it sure would be nice"

    People won't check. Nor will drivers get updated in a timely manner.

    > to download a .tar.bz2 that's about 5 MB and have it fetch another few
    > megabytes of drivers automatically once I configure the kernel I want to
    > build.

    The GPL allows you to offer such a service - for example a web site that
    allows you to click on the general areas you have and then fires you a
    tar file of just the needed areas.

    The single big tar/patch is the right model for the development, but you
    can go provide a service to others if you think it helps them.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.032 / U:38.732 seconds]