    SubjectRE: locking user memory and kiobuf
    Date
    Jeff Garzik [mailto:jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com] wrote:
    > Bret Indrelee wrote:
    > > Does page_address() return a virtual or physical address?
    > > To me it looks
    > > like it may be a physical address, in which case you would
    > > have to do:
    > > memcpy (foo, phys_to_virt(phys), PAGE_SIZE *4);
    >
    > Not true. The above code example was in kernel space, and
    > the memcpy is
    > definitely in kernel (physical) address space as well.

    Kernel address space is different than physical address space.

    Kernel address space is a virtual address that goes through the MMU (page
    tables) in order to create the physical address. Virtual address space is as
    seen from the CPU, physical address space is as seen with a logic analyzer
    hooked up to the board traces.

    It may be that some of the kernel address space is mapped to the identical
    physical address space, I don't know if Linux does this or not. The MIPS
    chip has a section of its address space that is direct mapped.

    -Bret

    SBS Technologies, Connectivity Products
    ... solutions for real-time connectivity

    Bret Indrelee, Engineer
    SBS Technologies, Inc., Connectivity Products
    1284 Corporate Center Drive, St. Paul MN 55121
    Direct: (651) 905-4731
    Main: (651) 905-4700 Fax: (651) 905-4701
    E-mail: bindrelee@sbs-cp.com http://www.sbs.com