SubjectRe: [KBUILD] Re: toplevel Makefile bug and simple fix
Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> From: Keith Owens <kaos@ocs.com.au>
> Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 00:35:20 +1100
>
> AFAICT this method (adding independent modules to the kernel Makefile
> tree) is the only way to guarantee that the module is compiled with the
> correct options. I have seen people try to copy kernel compile options
> by hand into a separate source tree and get them wrong, in particular
> they get genksyms wrong most of the time. Also most separate compiles
> completely omit dependency checking. Using the kernel makefile
> structure gets it right every time.
[snip]
> I invite people to take a look at the infrastructure found in the
> stand-alone serial package, and to use it for their own drivers. If you
> can think of improvements to it, please suggest them to me. If you'd
> like some help in adapting the stand-alone driver infrastructure for
> your own driver, let me know, and I'll try to give you some pointers.

Hello,

A while ago I can up with a system where modules could be
distributed as tar.gz's (or tar.bz2's). You would copy
them into /usr/src/linux/extras or some such and from
there it would be automagically included. It would be
unpacked automatically, 'make extras' would build all
the modules, etc. 'make *config' would have an extra option
in the main menu called 'Extras' which lead to a submenu
listing all the installed extras and the options for
those modules.

I got as far as getting it to unpack before my limited knowledge
of the kernel makefile and build system became a problem and
I ran out of time.

What I want to know is if this is the sort of system we should
be aiming for or is there some fundamental flaw? I beleive
its biggest attraction is that it would allow a GUI tool
to automatically download a driver, compile and install with
a minimum of fuss.

You could even run a mini version of xconfig on the subdirectory
to allow users to configure it.

Comments?

In awe of your knowledge, ;)

Martijn van Oosterhout
Australia

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.330 / U:0.152 seconds]