SubjectRe: Specifying properly the PCI driver model on all linux archite
> I think you will find that you'll have problems with your hot swap and
> bridges, it really should be the PCI subsystem that decides what areas of
> PCI are used or not. Once it is put in the configuration register, that
> should be the end of it.
>
> I think that having all the PCI device drivers do check_mem_region() and
> request_mem_region() is going to cause problems.

The memory regions have three states so I think we are ok. They can be

1. Unused
2. Allocated but not used (eg PCI but no driver loaded)
3. Used

As you clearly realise the major issue is getting type #1 right so that
hot swap devices, AGP gart and the like can grab a hole

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.038 / U:1.120 seconds]