SubjectRe: Intel EEPRO 10/100 problems on 2.2.13

There were no isa devices on that machine. Just the eepro and the
adaptec 2940 on board. There was a secondary eepro, which i removed
when i had troubles with the onboard card ( when i got the onboard
adapter working i added the secondary eepro100 PC which by the way worked
smoothly already).
By the way, i am using a redhat 6.1. I had to replace the rh kernel 2.2.12
with a vanilla 2.2.13 , the redhat kernel was hanging up when initializing
the eth1. ( and all this after i spent quite a while finding out why
lilo didnt work with rh 6.1, for those having problems rh6.1 forgets
the "linear" option on the lilo.conf. to work around either pick up the
new boot images from redhat or choose custom install, which allows you
to choose to specify "linear" option on the lilo configuration).
With the vanilla kernel the "kudzu" tool didnt work properly anymore,
so i had to remove it. are there special kernel extensions to get that
"hardware detection" tool to work ?

enrico

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Enrico Demarin wrote:
>

> > I just found it (?)
> >
> > I set in the BIOS to initialize cards for Windows 95 (TM) OS.
> >
> > Why did it work this way and not with Non-Plugnplay OS, i dont know.
>
> Ahhh. More than likely, when you had plug and play turned off, there was an
> ISA device using an IRQ that was NOT reserved in the BIOS, and this IRQ was
> getting dual allocated to the eepro at the same time.
>
> Take a look in the BIOS for a section for reserving IRQs for ISA devices,
> and make sure that any device that is on the ISA bus has its IRQ listed
> there as reserved.
>
> Once you turned on PnP, the BIOS automagically reserved the ISA IRQs so that
> they didn't conflict with the PCI devices.
>
> Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.066 / U:0.232 seconds]