    SubjectRe: 2.3.x sound problems
    On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 iehrenwald@earthlink.net wrote:

    > > Beginning early in the 2.3.2X cycle I started getting:
    > >
    > > Nov 28 09:10:36 wr5z kernel: Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ
    > > config error?
    > >
    > > errors in my log with attendant sound dropouts when playing mp3 sound
    > > files. The last version which worked well was 2.3.18. Are chainges
    > > being made to dma/buffers/cache which might be the cause of some of
    > > these problems?
    >
    > I made a message to linux-kernel a week ago about the same topic but I
    > guess it never went though. I don't know why. Probably Earthlink's
    > fault. Anyways. Do you happen to be using fbcon? I don't get these
    > timeouts unless I am scrolling large text files and playing MP3s at the
    > same time while in a framebuffer console. If I'm in a normal text mode
    > everything is fine.

    I'm using fbcon, but I don't believe scrolling is the sole cause. I'm
    getting the sound dropouts with a quiet screen. Something as simple as
    a cron job kicking off in the background to download mail will trigger a
    sound pause. It seems as if there is no buffering of output where there
    was before.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.055 / U:0.872 seconds]