SubjectLK-FAQ: suggestion (Was: Re: Kernel Panic with 2.2.14pre6)
* Emil S Hansen (laven.data@image.dk) [991119 17:05]:
> Hello Linux users
>
> My kernel just gave me a Panic on my SMP box, /usr mounted over NFS.

[snip]

> My system is a dual Celeron-300@450, one IDE disk (VA34323A), two Ethernet
> cards (via-rhine and 3c509B), SoundBlaster AWE64, one SCSI controller
> (53c875) with a Plextor CD-ROM, and a MATUSHITA CD-Writer, my graphics card
> is a Creative Voodoo Banshee.

Richard/Andre:

Would it be benificial to add subsection to the Linux Kernel FAQ
(Under 4.3, I think), something like:

There are some situations that make a kernel oops useless. The two
most obvious are if your are overclocking your CPU or running
VMWARE's vmmon. The reason is that overclocking can introduce
random bit errors, while VMWARE's vmmon has the ability to (and
does) change parts of the kernel. In both cases, data in the
kernel, as reported by the oops, won't be useful.

Ciao!

--
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
-- IBM maintenance manual, 1925

The Doctor What: A really hip dude http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat@gerf.org (finger docwhat@gerf.org for PGP key)
KF6VNC

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.035 / U:0.152 seconds]