SubjectRe: Mark keyboard RAW mode deprecated
Hi!

> > Yes, it does and yes, it better should not use them. Converting X to
> > use medium raw is trivial change, and it is needed to get mac
> > keyboards play nicely.
>
> Why?
>
> Let people do whatever they want. I don't see the whole point of
> medium-raw being so incredibly superior.

Ok. The problem was person with two keyboards (Geert?). X worked
nicely for him with PS/2 keyboard but some keys did not work when he
plugged in mac-style keyboard. It was because X did not expect to see
e0 prefixes and similar braindamage.

Notice that medium raw is essentially raw mode with braindamage
removed, and notice that we can not reasonably generate prefixes for
keyboards that are not braindamaged. Therefore raw mode exports things
like differences between PS/2 and USB keyboards to userland
applications. There is _one_ legitimate application of full raw mode
-- showkeys. Other applications really want medium raw.

Pavel
--
The best software in life is free (not shareware)! Pavel
GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+