SubjectRe: Announce: LVM Patch against kernel 2.3.28 (really, can one FS corrupt another FS's data)
Alan Cox wrote:

> Don't however think you can safely
> test an fs on a production box just on one partition and be safe. You can
> be _safer_ but you should be prepared to cover the worst.

The funny thing is that in all my years of hacking on reiserfs, neither I nor
anyone else on my team has ever corrupted any ext2 partitions as a result of the
many bugs in not yet debugged test versions of reiserfs. I thought that surely
I would have to worry about this, but no.... I learned by experience not theory
that it just doesn't happen, and not to worry about it. Maybe other
FS developers have had a different experience. That said, a buggy reiserfs
surely can crash the machine, and so yes, you should not use an unstable
reiserfs release on a mission critical machine. We'll have something stable in
a few days I hope.

Hans

--
Get Linux (http://www.kernel.org) plus ReiserFS
(http://devlinux.org/namesys). If you sell an OS or

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.040 / U:0.396 seconds]