SubjectRe: Memory problems revisited (SOLVED!)
On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Alex Buell wrote:

> I just took out the second processor and re-ran the tests. It's just
> done its third run and all's well. Wierd. I'm going to swap processors
> over (take out the "good" processor and put in the "bad" processors
> and see if the errors happens. If it does, there's the culprit. If
> not, it has to be something that goes wrong when both processors are
> in the system.

That wasn't the answer, the problems came back. But I've finally found the
problem and it turned out to be the power connectors that plugs into the
motherboard. Two of the pins were very loosely connected to the power
socket on the motherboard, thus causing a drop in voltage which led to the
problems. Prying these pins out and adjusting to provide a better fit
eliminated the problem. I'm currently re-running the memory tests at the
moment, so far no problems, fingers crossed that it will complete the
tests successfully.

The first clues pointing to the problem came to light when I removed one
of the processors and it lightened the load, thus reducing the memory
errors slightly.

It would seem that the memory tester program as provided by Simon Kirby
and Charles Cazabon is so sensitive it can detect voltage problems! Thanks
guys!

Cheers,
Alex
--

Legalise cannabis today! Got GnuPG? Ask me for public key.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk - updated!