SubjectRe: Scsi timeout / kernel panic
Date
In article <cistron.38370415.8F8D9918@socketware.com>,
Steven Sparks <sparks@socketware.com> wrote:
>With the exception of the buslogic stuff, these are identical to the
>errors I'm receiving with my quantum drives. This is three people
>talking about at least four machines with quantum scsi drives locking
>up in the same manner. this has begun happening since going from 2.0.x
>to 2.2.x. I'm beginning to think that this is valid, not just an
>anomaly of my system.

We had this a coupe of times in the 2.0.x timeframe as well with
some drives. We emailed Leonard Z. about it a couple of times and
it turned out in all cases to be buggy firmware on the drives.

It might well be that the 2.2.x drivers / scsi layer does things
that 2.0.x didn't do, and that the drives firmware locks up. You
can start by trying to turn off tagged hash for example to see
if it helps. See the docs or source file of your scsi driver.

Sometimes you can also find firmware updates for the drive on
the manufacturers website, though I have no idea how to upgrade
the firmware on a SCSI drive.

HTH

Mike.
--
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.