    SubjectRe: Announce: LVM Patch against kernel 2.3.28
    Alan Cox wrote:

    > > It would be a blessing, especially if the journaling Ext2 or Reiserfs
    > > stuff was also folded into 2.4 as well. The lack of a LVM and a JFS have
    > > unfortunately kept any serious Linux use out of our shop for a while
    > > now.
    >
    > I can see LVM getting into a standard kernel but not really ext3 (journalling
    > ext2) or reiserfs. Ext3 adds stuff to the buffer cache behaviour that needs
    > further figuring for 2.3.x to make Linus happy. Reiserfs exports half of
    > the buffer cache into itself and includes extra C files in fs/buffer.c
    > and has similar questions to solve.

    We are throwing out most of the schedule tracking stuff that gets included into
    buffer.c as part of our SMP overhaul, and that should be done soon (it is being
    debugged now.)
    That said, we don't distrurb other folks's code, so why is it such an issue?

    I don't understand the comment about exporting half of the buffer cache into
    itself.

    > There is also a problem that right now neither ext3 or reiserfs can journal
    > over software raid.

    This is a RAID/MM design issue. Surely you can't blame us for that one.... and
    surely it is not so hard to make journaling and RAID exclusive configurations
    until it gets worked out.....

    > Alan
    >
    > -

    Get Linux (http://www.kernel.org) plus ReiserFS
    (http://devlinux.org/namesys). If you sell an OS or
    internet appliance, buy a port of ReiserFS! If you
    need customizations and industrial grade support, we sell them.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:2.874 / U:0.072 seconds]