    SubjectRe: Ext2 defragmentation
    "Theodore Y. Ts'o" wrote:
    > Doesn't this change in e2fsprogs make it harder to recover data from
    > a corrupt fs since there's no obvious way to know where to look for
    > backup superblocks.
    > Yes, there is that downside. We should have put at least one set of
    > backup superblocks at a fixed location, but that's one of the things we
    > didn't do when we were originally designing ext2. Hmmm... it may be
    > possible to put a fixed superblock on larger-sized filesystems by having
    > mke2fs create a .backup_superblock file, which make life easier for some
    > folks. (Folks who decide they desparately need the extra space back can
    > just delete the file.)
    > - Ted

    Isn't this still the problem of storing fs metadata within a potentially
    corrupt fs? I think storing the backup superblock locations outside the fs
    would be a good idea. Is it possible to add an option to tune2fs to report
    this info so one could store it on a floppy or print it or something?

    I've noticed another anomaly. When mke2fs 1.18 creates a 1.3GB partition, it
    says the first backup superblock is at 32768 not 32769. Is this an off-by-one

    IE5 is the best looking program to ever screw up my system

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.025 / U:8.216 seconds]