SubjectRe: Getting system info from the kernel

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > Alexander Viro wrote:
>
> >> It would be reall nice if we had a generally accepted library with sane
> >> interface that could be used by everything. Then the changes would be much
> >> easier. Right now we have all sorts of spiffy little utilities (seriously
> >> resembling DOS BBS collections - bad symptom in itself), each of them
> >> doing its own thing in its own way. Yes, if they would directly use the
> >> kernel memory it would be even worse. But even in the current form it's a
> >> mess.
> >
> > libgtop from the GNOME project
>
> I am sorry to say that libgtop is no longer LGPL software.
> It is also a lowest-common-denominator library AFAIK.

The latter isn't too bad, but the former... Yep, it's a killer. Sorry,
I've missed that when I looked at the thing. <shudder> it's their right,
indeed, but it's damn silly. LGPL here would be almost ideal - that's
exactly the case when you don't want binary-only code linking it
statically. But GPL for system library... Defeats the point.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:1.714 / U:0.004 seconds]