    SubjectRe: Userspace filesystem implementation for loopback devices only [was CBMFS]
    Hi!

    Take a look at http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/podfuk/podfuk.html

    > Thus I've been thinking about something called userspace fs. Which is
    > just that, it is a way through a pipe or /proc interface or maybe even
    > a /dev/ thingie too allow filesystems to be implemented in userspace for
    > fs in local files only.
    >
    > Then we could have a userspace cbmfs and zipfs and whatever. Then we
    > could even use something like the misc-binary loader idea for mounting
    > these files and maybe even mount them on cd.

    This has already been done. I did that.

    > So you could do cd bla.tar and get in the tar. With most of the hard and
    > dangerous work being done in userspace.

    You have to use cd bla.tar#utar. cd bla.tar just can never work. (File
    can not be directory to see).

    > I know this is possible hard to implement, but it would open a lott of
    > possibilities thinking about it some more, what about the following:
    >
    > Implement this userspacefs as an nfs-server then we would need no kernel
    > mods except for the cd into trick.
    >
    > Anyways this is just my I" got just out of bed and it is still early"
    > brainstorm. lett me know what you think.

    I think that you should see my system. I have implemented your ideas
    year ago.
    Pavel
    --
    I'm really pavel@ucw.cz. Look at http://195.113.31.123/~pavel. Pavel