    SubjectRe: Split the kernel sources

    [Dominik Kubla]
    > BTW. There is no need to download the whole tarball, somebody or
    > another invented the concept of taking the difference between two
    > versions and "patch" the old version to generate the new version.
    > Just in case you didn't know...

    And *that* is a good reason (from my perspective) not to distribute a
    split kernel. egcs (now gcc) does this -- you can download either the
    whole release or the base plus any of various language frontends as
    separate tarballs. Trouble is, if you then try patching an
    "incomplete" tree with a "complete" patch file you will get loads of
    questions and rejects for directories and files that don't exist.
    While there may be a patch flag to turn this behavior off, I never
    found it; I gave up on this whole approach and now always download the
    complete egcs/gcc tarball when needed.

    --
    Peter Samuelson
    <sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>