Subject"invalid parameter parm_io" when trying to "modprobe -k sound"
I have seen this question being asked many times on etc, but with
no response.

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-C1XE PictureBook with a Yamaha YMF-744B PCI sound
card which I am trying to get working with Linux. I understand that the
YMB-744B is currently only supported with Legacy SB Support as Yamaha will
not release docs.

When I manually insert the modules it works fine, but when I do a "modprobe
-k sound" I get an error "invalid parameter parm_io".

I am using modutils-2.3.6 on kernel 2.3.28 and this is my conf.modules file

alias char-major-14 sound
alias sound sb
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1

when I remove "alias sound sb" and run "modprobe -k sb" it works ok, but
this means auto loading as required by the kernel does not work.

What can I do to get this working?

P.S. is this 8 bit Soundblaster PRO sound the best I can expect for the near
future? (That is without shelling out $30 for OSS/Linux)

Robert Lowery
Software Engineer
Colorbus Australia
1044 Dandenong Road, Carnegie, Victoria 3163
Tel direct: +61 3 8574 8014
Fax office: +61 3 8574 8008