SubjectRe: hot(un)plugging IDE disks
Francois-Rene Rideau wrote:
..
> Hum. I never had any problem with my old (external) SCSI2 drive on an SC200,
> but obviously YMMV. How do you determine that bays at hotswappable?

Easy. There are NO hotswappable IDE bays.

Still, a few clowns (like you and I) sometimes think it would be nice
to support them anyway. The best way to do it is to place them on
a separate IDE interface chip, independent of any "permanent" drives.

That way you won't blow away your root filesystem due to noise and
electrical spikes produced when hotswapping hardware that ain't hotswappable.
It also allows using modules to load/unload the IDE support as needed,
exactly the way that the existing PCMCIA code handles it. Look there for details.

--
Mark Lord
Real-Time Remedies Inc.