SubjectRe: I2O support?
On Sat, Nov 13, 1999 at 03:46:36AM -0000, Matthew Clark wrote:
> Hi guys - could someone please tell me if any Linux kernel currently has
> support for I2O (Intelligent Input/Output)?
>
> Sorry to cross-post this - but I need to know urgently...

So why didn't you look at the kernel sources then? It would have told you
right away:

2.2.x no
2.3.x work in progress

And as for all 2.3.x kernels: they are _DEVELOPMENT_ kernels and should
not be used in production systems. So i recommend that you wait for 2.4
before deploying I2O systems using Linux...

> While I'm here - does anyone know what is a decent amount of I20 Cache for a
> RAID controller? We only seem to have 16Mb out of a possible 128Mb.. it has
> been suggested that this could be the cause of an IO bottleneck we're having
> with an HP NetServer LH4...

Not having an I2O-RAID controller myself (only a PCI-controller form DPT), i
doubt that this is really the case unless you are constantly thrashing the
cache with write requests. In that case it might be better to rethink the
disk allocation and use more independant SCSI busses.

Yours,
Dominik Kubla

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.056 / U:1.348 seconds]