SubjectRe: 2.2.13 smp box crashes
Gabor Lenart wrote:
> We've got server crash after some day uptime, without any log : the
> screen is black, server doesn't respond to icmp ping packets so we can't
> figure about the problem ... press-reset-button is not the best solution
> to live with this problem.
>
> Configuration :
>
> 2.2.13 smp kernel with solar designer's secure linux patch

Note that an exploit was posted on bugtraq yesterday that stomps over
this patch as if it isn't there....

> ABIT BP6 motherboard
> 2xCeleron-366 running at 5.5x95Mhz (yes, it's overlocked but it seemed rock stable)

Well, it just crashed. That means to me it isn't stable.

The green heatsink in the middle of the board is undersized. On
certain access patterns (On my system the screensaver seemed to
trigger it), the chip overheats and causes a system hang.

I put a fan on it, and my system is a lot more stable now. I have the
thermal paste ready-to-go, which is also a good idea....

Roger.

"I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame it on you."