    SubjectRe: [2.2.5] Strange Zip/VFAT problems
    Riley Williams wrote:

    > Hi Robert.
    >
    > [Quote from me deleted...]
    >
    > I use the following line with my ATAPI Zip-250 drive:
    >
    > /dev/hdd4 /zip auto noauto,user 0 0
    >
    > Note that the 'user' implies noexec and nosuid so those do not need
    > stating as well. The only difference is the use of 'auto' instead of
    > 'vfat' in the media type field, which allows me to use ext2 and vfat
    > disks interchangably.

    Yeah, I was typing that from memory...hang on, I think I can telnet into
    one of them from here - give me a moment...

    <type, type, click, click...>

    Here we are:

    /dev/hdc4 /zip vfat nosuid,noauto,user 0 0

    That's more like it.
    > [Me whinging about problem deleted...]
    >
    > > As far as I can tell, they're running the stock RH6.0 kernel,
    > > 2.2.5. But before I run to the admin and pester him to do
    > > cluster-wide kernel upgrades, I have to ask - is this a known
    > > (and fixed) kernel bug? Or is the problem likely elsewhere? Has
    > > anyone else even seen this?
    >
    > The only thing that comes to mind is that the one supplied with RH 6.0
    > was 2.2.5-15 and there were supposed to be some important changes in
    > the update that was released as 2.2.5-22 so you may wish to suggest to
    > them that they upgrade to the later RPM.

    Just gone to Red Hat's site and looked - the problems it fixes seem to
    be security-related - I'll suggest it anyway.

    > Another option would be to upgrade to RH 6.1 which uses 2.2.12 as its
    > base kernel, and that shouldn't be hard.

    Hmmm... might be too big a step for them...a whole distribution
    upgrade...

    > The best option of all would be to download the 2.2.13 kernel tarball
    > and compile a custom kernel for those machines. However, if they've
    > only just started with Linux, they may be unwilling to do that.

    I'll see if I can't talk the admin into it. The main problem is that
    he's a lecturer most of the time, and an admin on the side, but he's
    enthusiastic, and I think he can be accomodating.

    > Best wishes from Riley.
    Taken with gratitude, and returned with, um, something nice...

    Robert Cardell
    <rbt@mtlb.co.uk>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.050 / U:1.248 seconds]