SubjectRe: linux interrupt handling problem
Hi,

On 10 Nov 1999, Jes Sorensen wrote:

> >> Rubbish, the current case we are talking about is serial
> >> performance vs the rest of the system. Run the serial as high
> >> priority and the rest as slow - you don't need this for mouse,
> >> disk, ethernet etc.
>
> Roman> This only true for standard user systems, not e.g. for embedded
> Roman> systems... You can of course ignore these problems others
> Roman> can't.
>
> If you have that sort of hard real time constraints you don't want the
> generic kernel in the first place, you want RTLinux or similar. It's
> really that simple.

Unfortunately it's not that simple, for some simple timer based data
collection RTLinux is a nice solution, but as soon as you want something
more advanced, e.g. realtime audio editing, you have problems, as this
usually requires a good IO system. Also if you want to go the desktop with
linux, there is still some work to do in the so called 'multimedia' area.
You can of course always upgrade your computer to improve such things, but
then you can also install this other 'os'.

bye, Roman

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.062 / U:0.828 seconds]