SubjectRe: Getting IOCTL's into VFS File System Drivers

Mike,

NT is a microkernel, and you are correct, the complexity of the NT FS
drivers is about 100 times what's in Linux. By way of example, just the
Read-Only version of the NT file system for NWFS IFS code is almost
three times the size as the core code of NWFS itself. What I open
source on Linux is this core. The NT R/W IFS is even more complex, and
uses structured expection handling and just the IFS portion for Windows
2000 is five times the size of the NWFS core. The unwind cases dealing
with C++ exceptions raised in the NT kernel are mind-numbing.

Jeff

Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
> > IRP stands for IO Request Packet.
>
> Thanks. Yes, I've looked through that. It looks like you are working with
> something like a microkernel. Is the stuff you've mentioned in a separate
> server? Does it need the direct access to kernel data structures?
> As an aside, I dearly hope that I'll never have to search for bugs in the
> code written in that style. It's not a flame, just that you are using
> wildly different style of C (ahem... C++, and usage of exceptions was,
> erm, unexpected thing to see in the kernel code, but that's another
> story). It's very hard to read. Sorry.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.031 / U:0.160 seconds]