SubjectRe: disk corruptions on "tuned" disks Was: APM killing low-latency performance on BX mainboard
> > At which point you just corrupted the hard disk on my old 486. Some things
> > unfortunately really cannot be let loose like that.
>
> Yes I know this, but this EIDE tuning is REQUIRED in order to
> get rock solid scheduling performance out of your box.

Rock solid scheduling isnt a property of a corrupt disk.

> It would be nice if we could collect some data about problematic
> drives / mainboards.
> Alan any know drives ?

The problematic stuff is almost all ISA. That makes life hard. With PCI we
can probe and pick up problem stuff (RZ1000 etc) The VIA VP1/VP2 are others
with interesting issues (our DMA autotune code fails on them)

> Is this more a harddisk issue or an mainboard issue ?

IDE controller issue.

> On Pentium+ boxes, with not too old disks, the problem should be
> pratically inexistent.

Correct.

> But such an automatic tuning/check has soon to be implemented into distros,
> in order to get the maximum performance out of the HW.
> ( Or are you not willing to try out the 5th gear of your Ferrari ? :-) )

Distributions have to work with as much hardware as possible. It's more a case
of ensuring that the car delivered goes and the wheels don't fall off than
the hand tuning it. The latter is _very_ hard.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.068 / U:0.472 seconds]