    SubjectRe: APM killing low-latency performance on BX mainboard (we need a method to disable it dynamically)

    Benno Senoner writes:
    >Now my question: in order to achieve best low-latency performance, we
    >need a way to disable APM on problematic boxes, but without recompiling
    >the kernel.

    That sounds like a statement, not a question. :-)

    >my proposals:
    >make a sysctl ( or is this already implemented) to disable APM at
    >or: make a kernel commandline boot option which allows to disable
    >APM at boottime, just like when the kernel detects that it is running on
    >a SMP box.

    We (Red Hat) did not include apm in our default kernels until there was
    a way to disable it on the kernel command line. Just use "apm=off".
    For what it's worth, a search for "apm" in our knowledgebase finds that
    information. Unfortunately, Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt does
    not list the possible values, so you couldn't have found it there.
    However, arch/i386/kernel/apm.c:apm_setup() is where the parsing is

    Hope that helps,

    prudent as the heavy petting of literature." -- Fran Lebowitz
    Linux Application Development

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.021 / U:35.460 seconds]