    SubjectRe: 2.2.x fails to identify hard disk buffer?
    Alan Cox wrote:

    > > Fujitsu hard disk, model MHC2040AT. Linux says that the disk has 0KB
    > > cache, Fujitsu says it has a 512KB buffer. What's going on here?
    >
    > Linux is reporting what the drive tells it.

    "hda: FUJITSU MPB3032ATU, 3093MB w/0kB Cache, CHS=785/128/63, UDMA"
    my kernel says at boot time.

    I have the same problem since years (in 2.0.xx too), but I blindly trust
    in
    Linux (the salesman didn't told me that the disk had some cache and he
    told my
    that it was UDMA), so I thought that I got a bad hard disk drive (it was
    really
    cheap, maybe too much cheap and anyway it works).

    But it seems to me that your reply maybe it's a bit too much
    "political":
    it is in a general and ignorant (I speak for me and not for my employer)
    way there are at least 2 manner for a such result; it is
    1) the drive says buffer size equal 0 and Linux kernel reports it
    2) the drive says correctly some buffer size different from 0 and Linux
    kernel
    doesn't understand and shows and use 0.

    Why are you completely sure that 2) in such cases is false?

    Andrea Ferraris

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:3.347 / U:0.124 seconds]