SubjectRe: structure dentry help...
On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 12:02:37AM +0800, dony wrote:
> > It's slightly messy, but the current layout looks so:
> > d_parent: points to the parent node in the tree.
>
> Does d_parent mean that it points to this dentry's parent node? I am really
> confused.

Yes.

> > d_subdirs: anchor of the cyclic list that goes through all
> > children
>
> "all children " means whose children? this dentry's childrenor this dentry's
> parent's children? In the Dcache.h, "d_subdirs" is explained as "our
> children". I am very much confused.

The children of this dentry.

> > d_children: that's where the aforementioned list sits (i.e we
> > have parent's d_subdirs <-> 1st child's d_children <-> 2nd child's
> > d_children <-> ... <-> parent's d_subdirs).
>
> In Dcache.h, "d_children" is explained as "child of parent list". that is to
> say, it points to this dentry's parent's children , instead of pointing to this
> dentry's own children? right?

The siblings of this dentry... mmm, Al, a rename might not be a bad idea
when you do the Grand VFS Cleanup.

d_children -> d_sibling
d_subdirs -> d_child

> > d_mounts: who overlaps it (root of the tree mounted atop of our
> > dentry) _or_ dentry itself if it's not a mountpoint; in other words it's a
> > step upwards.
> > d_covers: opposite.
>
> Sorry, I still cannot distinguish between d_mounts and d_covers. Say a
> example, if /dev/cdrom is mounted under /mnt , then what does d_mounts and
> d_covers mean respectively? What's the difference or relationship between them?

/mnt has d_covers pointing to the root of the filesystem mounted on it.
d_mounts of the root of the mounted filesystem points to /mnt on the
root filesystem.

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of