SubjectRe: [linux-usb] Re: USB device allocation

On 9 Oct 1999, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> Ever looked at plan9? It's supposed to be what Unix was meant to be,
> by the original Unix designers. They threw most of the magic constants
> overboard and in fact _use strings_ everywhere (for devices, ioctls,
> and signals!). They also greatly extended the "everything is a file"
> paradigm, and procfs, devfs, shmfs, etc are an integral part of the OS.
>
> There people designed Unix. I assume they are pretty smart.

And they definitely deserve looking at their design. But if you are
proposing to switch VFS to 9P... BTW, their procfs doesn't contain the
heaplods of cruft and their devfs is seriously different from what is
proposed here. If you are ready to rewrite the whole VFS - fine.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.167 / U:1.020 seconds]