    SubjectRE: [linux-usb] Re: USB device allocation

    On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Khimenko Victor wrote:

    > In <Pine.LNX.3.95.991008110717.897A-100000@chaos.analogic.com> Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com) wrote:
    > RJ> On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Khimenko Victor wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Devfs DO NOT need major/minor system. It uses major/minor system for existing
    > >> devices to simplify conversation but it's not requirement.
    >
    > RJ> What? The only reason for any of the stuff in the /dev directory is
    > RJ> to associate a major/minor number with a file-descriptor. This happens
    > RJ> during open(). This is Unix and that's the way Unix works. the choice
    > RJ> of putting such "devices" in the "/dev" directory is policy. They
    > RJ> could be anywhere.
    >
    > Why it's so important ?

    Learn. This place is not exactly UNIX 101, you know...

    > RJ> Any 'devfs' cannot violate the Unix policy or you don't have Unix.
    >
    > And what if I'm not want Unix ?

    Than don't use it, damnitall! WTF are you doing on l-k in that case, may I
    ask you? devfs may be good/bad/whatever, but _why_ _the_ _green_ _bloody_
    _fsck_ is it discussed on l-k by people who apparently never cared to look
    at the code it should interact with? It's not a democracy and vox
    co^H^Hpopuli doesn't work here (or anywhere else, for that matter).

    Could we _please_ stop this bogosity? Take care to read the kernel source
    if you want to produce arguments for inclusion of the thing into system.
    It is a prerequisite. And let Richard speak if/when he wants to do it. At
    least he _did_ care to RTFS. Sheesh...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.022 / U:31.664 seconds]