SubjectRe: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)
On Thursday, 07 October 1999 at 15:12, Sean Hunter wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 01:48:43PM +0100, Jakma, Paul wrote:
> >

> > > That would be the problem, and the devfs mount goes
> > > away when you reboot,
> > > I realize devfsd does something to handle (tarball-like I
> > > seem to recall?), but
> > > that seems less than elegant to me...
> >
> > there used to be hack to preserve perm's that used tar.
> >
> > however with the advent of devfsd that hack is gone. now you just specify
> > the permissions in a config file, exact syntax i forget, but something like:
> >
> > /dev/sd/c0b1t3u0 PERM root.disk 664
> > /dev/sd PERM root.disk 660
> >
> > etc.. and all your SCSI disks will automatically get these perm's when
> > they're created, except for disk bus1id3, which get's special perms's.. etc.
> >
> > now that's nice. Much easier to admin, which leads to better security, etc.
>

> I thought about writing this special kernel patch where you make all
> these things called "files". You then assign "permissions" to them
> using things called "commands". It means you can do stuff like
>
> chown root.disk /dev/sd/c0b1t3u0
> chmod 0664 /dev/sd/c0b1t3u0
>
> Amazingly, these "files" just have these permissions after I do this.
> Now that's nice.
>
> Then I realised that it would be _really_ great if once I'd run these
> "commands" once, the "files" kept those "permissions" even after I
> reboot! Its really neat, but the only problem is it already works,
> and I can't find anything for my patch to do...

oh yes, you hit that one square on the head. ouch!

now, if only there were a way to have new "files" corresponding to
devices appear automatically when they were added to the system, and
deleted when they were removed... and if only there were a way to get
around the shortage of major/minor device numbers...
--
Brendan Cully <brendan@kublai.com> | OLD SKOOL ROOLZ
"I hope I don't win | .-_|\