    SubjectRe: [patch] replacing "/dev/root" in /proc/mounts
    Hi Tigran.

    >> I tried making that symlink soon after I first heard about it,
    >> and had so many problems that I promptly removed it and went
    >> back to a static /etc/mtab instead.

    > making symbolic link /etc/mtab -> /proc/mounts stops people from
    > triggering a bug in mounting loopback device (i.e. from
    > supplying -o loop option to mount instead of doing it properly,
    > i.e. use losetup(8) command).

    I have to admit that I wasn't aware of any such bug, and I regularly
    use that very option to mount cd images for testing prior to burning
    them out, and have never had any indication of a bug being present.
    As a result, I would be VERY interested in details of this bug as it
    exists in current 2.2 kernels.

    > If there are other problems than this, I will switch to static
    > /etc/mtab.

    > (I assume one also made a symlink /dev/root -> /dev/sdXY)

    If one uses the symlink, one would have to do so, but as I don't, I've
    never bothered to do so.

    > What are the other problems with /etc/mtab -> /proc/mounts?

    The command `mount -o remount,r[ow]` doesn't work with the symlink if
    there were any additional options supplied (either in /etc/fstab or
    otherwise) when the partition was originally mounted, beyond the basic
    "defaults" option.

    As examples of this, I quote the following entries from my home
    system, which is RedHat 6.0 using kernel 2.2.12:

    Q> /dev/hdb3 /cdimage ext2 defaults,ro,user 1 1

    This entry can NOT be remounted rw, other than by the superuser, if
    the symlink exists, even though the user option is supplied.

    Q> sun:/public /nfs/sun nfs noauto,ro,user,rsize=8192,wsize=8192

    If the symlink exists, then `mount -o remount,rw /nfs/sun` results in
    the rsize and wsize being reset to the default values, and performance
    falls through the floor as a result.

    Best wishes from Riley.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.021 / U:184.156 seconds]