SubjectRe: Network iface is down but pingable
> From the description, I would say that there is a bug, but it is NOT
> that the route isn't removed.
>
> Deleting the route when an interface is taken down is like deleting a
> symlink when the target file is deleted. It's extremely frustrating if
> you have a non-trivial configuration and all you wanted to do was to
> attempt to reset the ethernet controller with rmmod/insmod.

Although this is debatable I can see you point. But then I should get a
"Host unreachable" or something like that, because the route points to
something that is not there. But instead the interface answers whether it
is up or down, which can't be ok. Otherwise there would be no sense in
configuring an interface down. I have no idea what would happen if I would
unload a kernel module which implements this interface.

I first noticed this problem, when scanning my local network and finding
that my router/firewall answered to two different ip numbers. I had changed
the numbers but the old one somehow survived. So I had one eth0 interface
with two ip numbers, no aliases involved. Only the new number could be
seen with ifconfig. This is potentially very serious if you have firewalling
involved and no paket filters set up for the "old" ip number.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf - jochen@remote.org - http://www.remote.org/jochen/