    SubjectRe: USB device allocation
    On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 09:38:00AM +1000, Nathan Hand wrote:

    > The /dev directory can still be "dynamic", the difference is that it's an
    > ext2 filesystem being updated from userspace, rather than a virtual devfs
    > filesystem being updated from kernelspace.
    > Realistically it only loses two features that people might covet (special
    > behaviour on open() of non-existent nodes, ability to use a non-UNIX like
    > filesystem for your /). The majority of people lose nothing.

    Erm, doesn't the first one break module autoloading? I would have thought
    quite a lot of people used that.

    AFAICS what's needed is to separate device detection from device handling -- I
    don't know how much of this is done already. When devices are detected
    (normally boot time except for hotplug buses), poke the user space daemon
    to create the device special file, but don't load the driver. When the device
    file's accessed, the normal kerneld / kmod mechanism kicks in to load the

    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it
    flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
    -- Matt Groening

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.020 / U:106.000 seconds]