SubjectRE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)
Date
From: Horst von Brand [mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl]
Subject: Re: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)

>That is the point: There are _two_ interfaces to the driver. As a driver
>author I must make sure _both_ work, so I must study both; I'll have to
>compile four kernels (devfs/module) just to check that it doesn't break. I
>must check that I don't hijack a major number, and that I don't take over
>the device name for something else (this has to be done in the driver, if I
>understand a recent post correctly). I must set up a default permission in
>the driver, and also add it to MAKEDEV.

Your assertion implies that the devfs_* calls to register a device will
act differently in registering nodes for driver A as apposed to driver
B.

Even while this assertion has validity, you are not forced to support
devfs with your driver. Chances are, someone could add the plus or
minus 10 lines of code for you.

Devfs is not bit twiddling like actual driver writing. It's a pretty
darn simple thing to support. Dont make it out to be harder than it is.

-Shawn

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.030 / U:0.588 seconds]