SubjectRe: USB device allocation
On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 11:15:08AM -0700, david parsons wrote:
> In article <linux.kernel.19991007104127.C15982@wookie.chirp.com.au>,
> Nathan Hand <nathanh@chirp.com.au> wrote:
>
> >This is why I suggested losing the devfs FILESYSTEM but retaining what
> >is devfs's INTENTION. Use the existing devfsd to maintain nodes on the
> >disk. Most of the benefits are kept. Some problems are addressed.
>
> Removing the filesystem makes devfs completely useless.

The /dev directory can still be "dynamic", the difference is that it's an
ext2 filesystem being updated from userspace, rather than a virtual devfs
filesystem being updated from kernelspace.

Realistically it only loses two features that people might covet (special
behaviour on open() of non-existent nodes, ability to use a non-UNIX like
filesystem for your /). The majority of people lose nothing.

Notice that what I'm proposing here is exactly like the cardmgr daemon in
the PCMCIA package. With the introduction of PCMCIA into the kernel, it's
sensible to make ALL devices contact a cardmgr-alike daemmon.
____
> david parsons \bi/ Just what I'd want: a ``devfs'' that renders your
> \/ machine unusable if the user-space daemon dumps core.

If modprobe starts dumping core you're in exactly the same pile of poo.

If init starts dumping core you're in exactly the same pile of poo.

If X starts dumping core you're at least pretty annoyed, if not in poo.

I don't think "but user space can crash" is a decent argument for putting
something in kernel space. It's even worse if it dumps in kernel space. I
like dynamic /dev: I don't care if it sits in user or kernel space.

--
Nathan Hand - Chirp Web Design - http://www.chirp.com.au/ - $e^{i\pi}+1 = 0$
Phone: +61 2 6230 1871 Fax: +61 2 6230 1515 E-mail: nathanh@chirp.com.au