SubjectRe: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)
Date
In article <linux.kernel.199910071820.OAA25215@pincoya.inf.utfsm.cl>,
Horst von Brand <vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:

>> > Names _are_ policy. So now I have to hack the kernel to
>> > rename the mouse?
>
>> oh come on horst.. you know perfectly well the kernel has to set some kind
>> of policy.. it's either major/minor's or names. no way round it. Try be
>> constructive.
>
>/dev is in the _filesystem_, and can be kept there. Has been there for
>ages, in fact. What is in there smells like files, tastes like files, and
>behaves like files: ls(1), mv(1), rm(1), chmod(1), chown(1) all work as
>they always do with files. This is an important part of the Unix way.
>
>What devfs proposes is to fake all this functionality, kludgeing
>permissions into tarfiles that have to be created when shutting down and
>reread when booting.

No it doesn't.

devfs simply provides a way for the kernel to tell userland what
devices it has, using the de facto standard naming conventions
that everybody uses.

If you don't want to use that functionality, why look, the old
method of writing magic numbers into files STILL WORKS.

____
david parsons \bi/ And if we're talking traditional Unix behavior, what's
\/ this nonsense of eth0...ethn, when it should be ed0,
tu1, gi2, and so on.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.049 / U:0.068 seconds]