SubjectRe: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)
On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:

> Matthew Dharm <mdharm@one-eyed-alien.net> said:
> > On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:
>
> > > [...]
>
> > > Don't you see all this is ridiculous? Maintaining /dev is _not_ a minute by
> > > minute activity, just creating entries for new devices is not enough, not
> > > by a _long_ shot. Sure, it can be nice sometimes, but not enough to pay for
> > > any extra cost, IMHO. Instead of a fake filesystem use a real one. It works
> > > well enough for me, and I still haven't seen any real situation were it
> > > would not be enough, and far simpler than doing extra stuff. People saying
> > > that 100Kb on disk for /dev is too much don't count (devfs will cost at
> > > least that much in RAM). "Clutter" isn't a argument either, you _can_ clean
> > > it up easily. If you really want to, there isn't any real need to go in
> > > there most of the time.
>
> > The problem is, given the nature of modern hot-swap plug-and-play systems,
> > maintainding /dev could be a _second-by-second_ activity. Forget
> > minutes.
>
> _Could be_. It isn't ATM. When (if ever) this becomes a real problem, we'll
> be in a better position to asess why, and propose solutions.

That's the same attitude that came up with the idea that 640K was all the
RAM anyone would ever need.

If we don't plan for the future now, we'll always be playing catch-up.

Besides that, USB is here. It works for the most part in the latest
kernels. And everyone over on that list knows that the current system
we're using for assignment is a kludge. We need something better, and we
need it _now_.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm InterNIC: MDD94
Engineer Cell: (619) 890-6943

It was a new hope.
-- Dust Puppy
User Friendly, 12/25/1998

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.035 / U:0.824 seconds]